View Menu for Maine Hardware

February 6, 2019


Clogged toilets, sinks and showers are bound to happen, but do you know which plunger to grab for?

Cup PlungerCup Plunger / Common Sink Plunger 

This is probably what comes to mind when you think of a plunger. But did you realize it is made for a sink [not a toilet!] and only works properly on flat surfaces?  The rubber cup needs to lay completely flat over the drain in order to create the vacuum necessary to dislodge the clog.

Uses: kitchen & bathroom sinks, bath tubs




Flange PlungerFlange Plunger / Toilet Plunger

If you are going to own one plunger, this is the one to have. The Flange Plunger has a cup like the sink plunger, but also has an additional soft rubber flap that folds out from inside of the cup that allows it to fit over a curved toilet drain.  But, when the flap is tucked away the plunger can also be used on flat surfaces.  That said…we don’t recommend using the same plunger on toilets and sinks…because it’s not exactly hygienic!

Uses: toilets, sinks and bath tubs




Accordion PlungerAccordion Plunger

Unlike the first two, this plunger is made of hard plastic.  The accordion shape allows it to provide a lot of force, but it’s not as easy to use as the flange plunger AND its hard nature can scratch some toilets.

Uses: toilets






  • Maine Hardware | iNet Login