There are different ways to hold a hammer depending on the job at hand…
- Choke up on the hammer. Your hand will be in about the middle of the handle.
- Rest your thumb out and on top of the handle, which improves accuracy.
- Take smaller strokes to slowly but surely pound the nail into place.
- Use the fingers of your opposite hand [or needle-nose pliers] to hold the nail in place while working.
- Grasp the bottom third of the handle. You should see 1-2 inches of handle below your hand.
- Tuck your thumb into your grasp, which gives you more power with each swing.
- Take long strokes, allowing gravity to help the hammer fall harder on the nail.